Being Safe in the Water
Did you know drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury-related deaths? It's a shocking number and most could have been avoided if people were better informed.
- Swim at Lifeguarded beaches where possible
- Swim between the red and yellow flags
- Never swim alone
- Know your beach safety flags
- Never use inflatables in strong winds or rough seas
- If you get into trouble, stick your hand in the air and shout for help
- If you see someone else in trouble, tell a lifeguard. If you can't see a lifeguard call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard
- Find out about the beach you're going to before you visit
- Check tide times before you go
- Read and follow the advice on local hazard signs
Your first paragraph ...